Merry Christmas! On this special edition of the Construction Industry Podcast we talk about designing and building churches and places of worship. My guest, Professor Duncan Stroik from the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, is a talented architect who is responsible for the design of some of the most stunning churches built in the US in the last few years.
In this episode, we will cover the following:
- What are the trends happening to church construction?
- How can classical themes in architecture can be represented without simply copying the old?
- How do construction documents for traditional churches vary from a standard set of construction drawings?
- What’s the best structural building system for churches?
- What are some of the challenges contractors face when managing and erecting a traditional church?
- What is the biggest obstacle found in church construction projects?
Professor Stroik also went into some detail when describing the design and construction of the beautiful Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity Chapel at Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, California, completed in the Spring of 2009.
Press the orange “play” button above the article to listen to this episode.
Prof. Duncan G. Stroik
Duncan G. Stroik is a practicing architect, author, and Professor of Architecture at the University of Notre Dame. His award-winning work includes the Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity Chapel in Santa Paula, California and the Shrine Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. A frequent lecturer on sacred architecture and the classical tradition, Stroik co-edited Reconquering Sacred Space and has recently authored The Church Building as a Sacred Place: Beauty, Transcendence and the Eternal. Mr. Stroik is an inaugural member of the Society for Catholic Liturgy and founding editor of Sacred Architecture Journal. He is a graduate of the University of Virginia and the Yale University School of Architecture.
- Book: “Theology in Stone: Church Architecture From Byzantium to Berkeley”, by Richard Kieckhefer
- Example of heroic modernism: Los Angeles Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
- Church of St. Paul the Apostle in Spartanburg, South Carolina, currently under construction
- Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity Chapel at Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, California
- Reece’s Rainbow: advocacy agency for special needs orphans
Do you have beautiful or interesting churches in your hometown? Tell us about it below.