This week’s episode of the Construction Industry Podcast takes me back to my high-school years in Brazil when my dad and I built our own home with our own hands. Though this is not exactly what Ben Adam-Smith talks about on his outstanding House Planning Help podcast, being in charge of building your house is definitely something that I can relate to.
Ben’s story is quite interesting. A former radio presenter, he is not a construction professional but is in a quest to learn as much as possible to eventually be the project manager for the building of his own energy-efficient home. In the House Planning Help podcast he shares with the audience his journey into the world of self-building. I’m fascinated by his story and by his show.
Press the orange “play” button above this post to listen to my interview with Ben Adam-Smith.
Ben Adam-Smith is the owner of Regen Media, a UK production company that specialises in creating video and audio for the construction industry. He is also researching what homes we should be building in the 21st century and his personal goal is to build or renovate a property before he turns 40 in August 2016.
- Why anyone would want to self build a home
- Does self building mean building the house yourself?
- How one would start the self build process
- What challenges can a self builder expect along the way?
- Why is the self build industry important?
- Why is energy efficiency going to become increasingly important in the future?
- What is Passivhaus (or passive house)
- House Planning Help
- International Passive House Association
- Regen Media
- iLightech, LED lighting distributor
- Who Killed the Electric Car?
- Ben Adam-Smith on Twitter
- Handyman Startup
- New Media Expo
Are you a self-builder? Have you built an eco-home? Share your thoughts below!